The Paul McIlvaine Collection - WWII Short Snorters - Bermuda
The Short Snorter Project
FIVE SHILLINGS BERMUDA GOVERNMENT SHORT SNORTER   
Serial Number B/2 499765      Hamilton, Bermuda  12 May 1937
Once known as the "Gibraltar of the West", the strategic location of Bermuda in the North Atlantic Ocean made it vital to
the Allies’ war effort.  Bermuda served as a World War II marshalling point for trans-Atlantic convoys, as well as a naval
and air base.  In May 1940, the U.S. requested base rights in Bermuda from the United Kingdom, but British Prime
Minister Winston Churchill was initially unwilling to accede to the American request without getting something in return.  
In September, 1940, as part of the Destroyers for Bases Agreement, the United Kingdom granted the U.S. base rights in
Bermuda. One of the terms of the agreement was that the airfield the U.S. Army was to build in Bermuda would be used
jointly by the U.S. and the U.K. (which it was for the duration of the war, with RAF Transport Command relocating there
from Darrell's Island in 1943). Construction began in 1941 of two airbases consisting of  1,400 acres of land, largely
reclaimed from the sea.  Although leased for 99 years, U.S. forces withdrew in 1995, as part of the wave of base
closures following the end of the Cold War
FRONT SIGNATURES:






Rex Kemplaw



Billie Heilman


Blanche Salem


Francie B. Baugiani